Friday, June 14, 2013

I liked it so much I started a studio... and this is why


Velocity Cycling Indoors on a Real Ryder Bike.  
The class is lead by an instructor who guides you through a ride simulating the outdoors.  Classes are held in a darkened room with inspiring music and video. The videos are real life rides with flat roads, switchbacks, leans, and hill climbing on a 110" screen to give you the feel an “open road” experience.

What a great way to burn over 500 calories in 50 minutes or less. That is just one benefit to cycling indoors. There are so many more such as weight loss, increased energy and bone density, stronger heart and lungs, decreased stress and anxiety, better sleep and lowers your risk for heart disease. Wow!!! All packed in one class if consistently done 2-3 times a week. Oh…I forgot to mention its easy on the joints. Your knees will thank you.  Which is the main reason I started to cycle indoors.
I’ve been a consistent spin rider for about 15 years now. I’m also an outdoor biker.  I love to ride!  After having my son I noticed my anxiety levels increased with the everyday hustle of life.  My remedy was to get out and cycle or find a dance class.  I tried other cardio classes like zumba and step, but finding a good tap class was difficult and the other card classes I found to be boring .  I tried a spin class and I was hooked. My body and mind feel great after each class and no pounding on the joints.   A great alternative to dance (my passion) and other cardio classes.

When I workout I love to sweat and oh boy do you work up a sweat in a RealRyder indoor cycling class. As your heart rate increases sweat drips down from your body to the bike and down on the floor. I must say the first time I finished a class I was sore in places I couldn’t even imagine. My glutes, quads, arms and core all felt the pain.  A lot of people shy away from the class because of that feeling. I’m here to tell you don’t get discouraged . With proper form and equipment your ride will become enjoyable. During your first class you will be helped with the setup for your bike based on your height. During the class the instructor will advise you on proper form helping you master the "lean" and out of the saddle climb. I do highly recommend having a pair of padded cycling shorts. Clip in shoes are not required but with my experience you will have a more efficient ride. Most classes require a heart rate monitor, but if you don’t have one the instructor will have you follow the RPE chart(rate of perceived exertion). A water bottle or two is a must. You definitely want to hydrate before, during and after class.  I promise after you get comfortable on your bike you will have a fantastic ride (cardio wise). My advice to you is to “push through” the intensity of the class and feel awesome after. This is why I ride.  Happy Ryding!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment